Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tōtanga
This month we feature two photographs. We already have the names of the people in the photographs (the Bledisloe Cup, contested each year in a test series between NZ and Australia, is named after this man, Lord Bledisloe), but we’d like more information on the event – the gifting of the ‘Bledisloe Chair’ by local iwi to the then Governor-General, in January 1934. The chair is now housed at Waitangi.
We are interested to hear, and document, any whanau stories about the Chair (its weaving/weavers and carvings/carvers), about the presentation ceremony and the hangi that followed. We’d also love to find other photographs that may have been taken on the day.