Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tōtanga
The Department of Conservation has provided the following information on the Tatare tunnel:
"Pioneer miners drove a 500 metre tunnel system through from the Tatare Gorge to pipe water to the Waiho terrace.
While the gold recovered did not cover mining costs, Franz Josef township was established on the operation site. From 1911 the sluice pipes provided water supply for the old Graham Hotel.
The high-pressure water drove a Pelton wheel in the town and generated electricity for a sawmill during the day and lights for the town at night. In 1938 water from the Tatare
Tunnels powered a small hydro station in the Tatare Gorge until it was destroyed by a slip in 1982. "